So, Dad, here you are considered ‘cultured’ if you
- are blank about a more evolved language like Sanskrit, and use English (that, too, often wrong) with the vernacular every now and then!
- remember all the recent Emmy winners but not any PadmaBhushans (agreed, that even Rajiv Gandhi won Bharat Ratna, but then, if you have to doubt, doubt every damn award. What the big fcuk did Obama do to win the Nobel!)
- ‘dine’ at KFC and ‘prefer to drink’ Bud Light over so many better options!
- virtually hang a “Do Not Disturb” sign around you when you watch Modern Family but you mock the “common people” that watch Kkusum!
- prefer to celebrate Halloween over Deepavali, Thanksgiving over any Indian harvest festival, and victory of San Francisco 49ers over a victory of the Indian hockey team!
- don’t have an iota of knowledge about raaga, but worship Lady Gaga (not critiquing, but out-n-out worshipping! Not learning, but following!)!
- don’t laugh at jokes, but say “L O L”!!
In the “deeply traditional” Indian weddings, the bridegrooms wear (English) suit!
Oh dear lord, I have a pair of Nike shoes and a Gucci nail-clipper. How cool am I!
Weren’t my cousins supposed to impart a “profound Indian-ness” on me? Or, was it a joke, ‘coz their lives revolve around Facebook, Starbucks, Captain America and Justin Beiber! This is not cultural merger, just a cultural surrender!!
What more of this ‘Indian’ ‘Culture’ can I absorb here, Dad, than what I already have from my White friends back home?! Bollywood??